Sunday, July 3, 2016

A Good Crazy

Since, my first few posts were kind of filled with angst and depression, I thought I switch and focus on some of the good parts of this big move. When I went in January, I left my pets (yes plural) with my dad and that was the expected disaster. He complained before I left. He wouldn't answer the phone while I was gone and they were visibly skinnier when I got back. Yeah...

So I decided they'd be coming back to Finland with me. It's been a world wind of microchipping, rabies shops and I have to get a health certificate within 10 days or leaving. All of this is fine and not nearly as expensive as I suspected and it's a welcome distraction from work. So here are my critters. The big ginger is Matty, named after my childhood cat Matthew, the grey is Bruce and the black cat is Francesca or Frankie for short.


Displaying edited_1458877095912.jpg

Yes, I'm a proud crazy cat lady. I like all animals as I grew up with cats and dogs, but randomly ended up with three cats and here's how. In 2011, right after I moved to Lake Charles, a co-worker had a stray who gave birth under her carport. I asked for one and my mom said she wanted a ginger cat because it reminded her of our childhood cat. I got Bruce, the Maine Coon. Only a week after, my apartment announced animals weren't allowed anymore and no one was grandfathered in. I took both to my mom's where they stayed for two years. I got laid off and had to move back home. While home, I worked out at a nearby YMCA and Frankie was there. A few staff members had bought food and started feeding her, but one guy kept talking about how he'd trap her in a plastic bag and throw her in the pool. I told him that serial killers and the like hurt animals before they escalated to people. He said he was joking, but his co-workers thankfully started watching him closer. A few weeks later, I come to the gym and they tell me, he had kicked Frankie twice just this morning. Instead of choke-slamming him (and ending up in jail), I told the employees I'd be right back. I went home, got my pet taxi and took her home. I got her fixed, and got her shots. Of course, when I moved out, my mom didn't want to be stuck with three cats and I honestly didn't want to leave them. 

I am one of those people who love that cats do their own thing despite what others, even their owners think. In the case of my cats, they just knock a lot of shit over. Most of the things I want to knock over are metaphorical: patriarchy, racism, colorism. we'll see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment